The objective of this course is to provide the students with an understanding of the concepts and practices of Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) and their roles in development.
- Introduction: Concept of voluntarism, Concept of Civil Society Organizations/NGOs, NGOs and Social capital, Roles and Functions of NGOs
- Growth of NGOs in Nepal: A Brief Account of Traditional Welfare Services in Nepal, Growth of Modern NGOs in Nepal, Registration and affiliation process of NGOs in Nepal, Types of NGOs in Nepal. INGOs and their roles in Nepal
- NGOs in Development: Socioeconomic status of Nepal, Overview of development plans and their contributions.
- NGO Governance: Monitoring and evaluation of NGOs/INGOs, Accountability of NGOs.
- Issues and Implications of NGOs in Development, Examining NGOs as Alternative Institutions, Current Issues and challenges of NGOs. Case Studies
Chand, Diwaker (1991). Development through Non-Government Organizations. Kathmandu: Institute for National Development Research and Social Service.
Chitrakar, Ami (1996). Working with NGOs. Nepal IUCN.
Dhakal, Tek Nath (2006). NGOs in Livelihood Improvement: Nepalese Experience. New Delhi: Adroit Publishers.
Vartola, Juha, Ulvila, Marko, Hossain Farhad & Dhakal Tek Nath (Eds) (2000). Development NGO, Facing the 21st Century Perspectives from South Asia. New Delhi: Institute for Human Development.